Radiator flush

Howdy folks, Dylan here.

After Matts XJ overheated on him yesterday I decided to keep his car for the day and flush his cooling system and re-fill it with a proper coolant.

I used Tectaloy XTRA cool concentrate. You can pick up a bottle that treats 10litres for around 13-15 bux. I used the same coolant in my XJ and has never once over heated on me while using it; and my AUX fan doesn't even work!

So lets get started on the 'Lazy Mans Flush' !





First thing I decided I would do was remove the skid plate.... nope! Turns out Matts Skid plate was only being held on by 3 bolts and two of them came out rather easy but the last one was a nightmare and I was unable to remove it. So I was forced to work around it, which ended up being pretty easy.

First thing removed was the top radiator hose from the thermostat housing.

Then I removed the bottom radiator hose from the radiator.

After they are detached I let it all the water flow out of it, blowed on the top hose a few times. Then the lazy stuff starts :P I rammed the garden hose in the top hose and turned her on, let it flush out some dirty stuff and continued for a few mins blowing in the top hose a few times to try and create a bit more pressure. Now the way I add the coolant concentrate was taught to me from some fellow XJ owners. Re-attach all hoses and make sure they are done up properly! I then poured the concentrate straight into the radiator opening and left 100ml in the bottle (the last 100ml goes into the overfill bottle and then topped up with water to the full mark).
Once the concentrate is in, top the system up with distilled water. Start the car with the radiator cap off and you will notice the water will go down eventually, this should be the TStat opening up. Pour more water in until you cant add anymore and be careful it doesn't start boiling over. After all this is done I just go for a quick drive and then come back and let the car cool down completely and check the fluids again.

Cheers
Dylan

No comments:

Post a Comment