Clutch Fan pulleys!

Howdy folks,

Dylan here and I just wanna run through a little problem I had a few weeks ago with my clutch fan ( the clutch fan aka mech fan is the fan that gets powered by the belt drive system ).

Well I guess I'll start from problem one, the power steering pump pulley (what a mouthful).
This pulley for some reason was sitting way to far out and was making the belt not sit on the fan pulley properly and because of this I shredded 2 belts and at about 50 - 80 bux a pop it was getting pretty annoying. At first I did not know about the power steering pulley being offset so I tried my own little remedy ( always a bad idea ), I put 3 spacers behind the fan pulley to try and make the belt line up properly; see below.




This worked fine and I was happy with how the car was going.....BUT
I recently had work done on my jeep at a mechanic workshop because I was having problems with the ECU or Computer which ever you call it. While at the shop they noticed the power steering pulley was out, so they kindly replaced the whole unit! well after getting my XJ back I forgot about my little home job spacers behind the fan pulley and because those pulleys are balanced and the surface area was not completely flush flat ( you can see in the above photo ) this decided to happen; see below.

The fan pulley did not have to be spaced anymore and as the new power steering pulley was trying to pull it back towards original position BANG, I started the slow limp home from McDonalds.
Luckily for me many of the members over at Aus Jeep keep many spare XJ parts, so in cases like this we don't have to go without our XJ's while we wait for the 'Stealerships' to source out the most expensive part possible for us....


This was just a minor set back but still an annoying one to happen, but damn I love this car and working on it always brings a sense of achievement aswell.

Cheers
Dylan

No comments:

Post a Comment