Matt's Update

Afternoon all,

Just an update on what I did on the weekend with the jeep. I'm pleased to say, she has lost her mud spray virginity. Around 2am on Saturday morning me and Drunken Dylan went for a drive checking out some "off road service roads" used by the council around my area. Very easy trails, you could take a two wheeler through SOME of the trail but there are some parts where a 4x4 would be needed mostly because of the rain fall the last couple of days made the tracks very muddy. No hope of getting bogged if you take it slow though.


We hit two trails, the first one was around the Boondal Entertainment Center in Brisbane. Service roads just off the main road that takes you into the complex even if the gates are locked. Lots of security there though, so be careful. Here is a link to the area around the track. It's hard to explain where to get in but you have to go into the first gate of the complex (Round about) and take your first right and gutter hope onto the main service road, this is blocked by a gate but if you drive up to the gate and look right, you will see an track into the bush.

Map Link

The second trail was only JUST down the road from the Boondal Entertainment Center. This track was a little more difficult. I don't think a normal car would be able to drive this one without at least some problems. You come down Sandgate Rd at Deagon heading north east and under the gateway motorway overpass turn off to your left onto the dirt patch. There is bridge going over Cabbage Tree Creek. Take that and follow it all the way around. If you do brave it and follow it the full way around it will take you back out to the right of the bridge. Fairly easy but a little risky in the wet.

Map Link

I also took a decent look under the hood for the first time sense I got the Jeep and I found that the air filter was basically dust. So I went out and got myself a B&R Pod Air Filter and some flexi tube from Auto-Barn. It was fairly cheap (Around the $120 mark for everything) and they helped me out a lot with what I needed. Once I got home though, I found out that stock air box has a nipple to allow for the carbon emissions system to re-filter it's self through the air box and back out into the exhaust system I also found out that the gasket that was that air seals the resonator box to the engine was broken in half so I went looking for one of them with no luck (Ordered one from Jeep Recyclers in Harvey Bay today) so I pulled some MacGyver shit and used a stubby cooler to air seal the flexi tube to the engine. (Will be replacing once I have the real gasket). This air sealed it but can't take it off road until I get that real gasket. (WARNING: Be careful when using Pod filter off road, they are not as safe as a panel filter)

The second problem I had when installing the Pod was mounting, they gave me a mounting bracket that I bent and drilled to get to work (Kinda) but I still used around 7 zip ties to hold it fairly in place, it works but once again. I'm getting my exhaust system re-done completely this week and have asked them to see if they can weld a mount up and fit it for the Pod Filter. If I can't, I think I'll be reinstalling the panel filter for off road use.

I'll have some videos and pictures uploaded tonight hopefully about this post, for yous to see rather then read.

Only one type of Jeep - XJ

No comments:

Post a Comment